City Cast is hiring an exceptional writer and editor to supplement our network of city-based Newsletter Writer/Editors.The Roving Newsletter Editor will write and edit for a variety of cities’ newsletters on an as-needed basis (mostly sick and vacation time). You’ll work closely with the Director of Newsletter Strategy and our growing team of city-based newsletter editors to produce and edit daily newsletters full of useful and delightful content that helps people be more active residents of their cities.
- Fill in for Newsletter Writer/Editors across any and all City Cast cities as needed.
- Identify, curate, and write up compelling stories and updates for local readers who want to be more plugged in to their cities. Demonstrate excellent discretion for what local readers need to know, and what should be left out.
- Write compelling short-form content in each city’s unique voice. Demonstrate an eye for the unexpected, surprising, and delightful.
- Work closely with the Director of Newsletter Strategy and Content Directors to write and edit content as needed for special projects.
- Edit newsletters according to AP and City Cast style.
- Compose highly compelling subject headings, format the day’s newsletter according to City Cast’s style guide and branding, and ensure the newsletter is published at a regular time, error-free.
- Assist newsletter editors in gathering visual content for daily newsletters, ensuring that appropriate licensing guidelines are followed, and that images are high quality and editorially compelling.
- Maintain a highly organized workspace within Mailchimp as you rotate between cities.
- 3-5 years’ experience writing and/or editing professionally, ideally in a deadline-driven environment.
- Good news judgment and a demonstrated grasp of core journalistic principles of fairness and accuracy.
- 3-5 years’ of copy editing experience, with a deep knowledge of AP Style, and a great eye for detail.
- Experience writing and editing newsletter products, including welcome series emails.
- Voracious newsletter diet, with a talent for identifying compelling and newsy content from a wide variety of sources.
- A firm grasp of email newsletter trends and best practices, with a keen understanding of where the industry is heading.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. You also write great headlines.
- Excitement about working at a startup, and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of making people feel more connected to their cities.
The Roving Newsletter Editor will report to City Cast’s Director of Newsletter Strategy. This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $60k-$80k, depending on experience. This is a fully remote position. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.
Deadline to apply: Friday, August 26.