City Cast DC is looking to hire a contagiously curious, energetic city enthusiast, and news junkie to serve as Part-Time Podcast Host. As the voice of City Cast DC’s daily news podcast, you’ll inspire your neighbors’ passion for their city, and you’ll help them understand what matters locally, and why. Three days a week, you’ll lead wide-ranging, sometimes-substantive-sometimes-frivolous conversations about DC.
You are knowledgable and opinionated and passionate about your city. You have an insatiable appetite for its politics, culture, economy, sports, and people. You love to talk. You also love to ask questions—because you’re genuinely interested in the answers. Maybe you have a journalism background—or maybe you’re a musician/writer/politician/educator/entrepreneur. Whatever you’ve been up to, you’re looking for a new way of expressing your love, frustration, and fascination about Las Vegas and the people who live in it.
- Host a podcast about DC three days a week.
- Hold thoughtful, empathetic, engaging conversations with DC’s top newsmakers and influencers.
- Exude style, substance, and personality in each episode. You won’t be an “announcer” but rather a deeply engaged conversationalist and talker with an authentic presence and strong point of view.
- Along with the podcast’s other host, serve as the voice, face, and chief curious person for City Cast DC, and by extension, DC.
- Work collaboratively with the Lead Producer to pick topics, decide guests, and write questions and scripts.
- Act as a powerful evangelist for the show, DC, and the principles of local journalism.
- Record promos and sponsor messages as needed.
- Represent City Cast DC publicly at live and virtual events as appropriate.
- Curiosity, above all. Journalism experience is extremely valuable but not essential. We’re open to curious people who understand and abide by journalistic principles and who are great conversationalists.
- Fresh, distinctive perspective and a compelling style. You are a tastemaker, whether you know it or not.
- Passion for DC —whether it manifests as devotion, frustration, fury, criticism, or all of the above.
- A voracious appetite for news and information about your community and the broader world.
- Strong written, verbal, and social communication skills
- Excitement about working at a startup and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of informing and engaging your community.
- 5+ years experience in journalism or related field;
- 5+ years experience in a public-facing role (host, performer, etc.)
- Some experience audio interviewing and editing.
In this role, you will report to the Lead Producer of City Cast DC. This position is part-time and will be located in Washington DC, though work will be primarily remote. Pay for this contract role is 30K annually. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.