City Cast Houston is seeking a local news and culture enthusiast with strong writing and editing skills to join our small team as Newsletter Writer. Our ideal candidate is detail-oriented, keeps close tabs on what’s happening in Houston news, politics, arts, and beyond, and has experience composing and editing a newsletter or similar digital content.
- Write and compile short segments for each day’s newsletter that are distinctly local, fresh, and relevant.
- Identify compelling tidbits of local news, culture, and information to include in the newsfeed.
- Build, test, and schedule each day’s newsletter in Mailchimp, adhering to City Cast’s style guide.
- Maintain Mailchimp audience list.
- Archive daily newsletter content on the City Cast Houston website.
- Compose great subject lines.
- Gather photos and other visual content for daily newsletter as needed.
- Engage with readers by responding to their emails and outreach on social media.
- Voracious local news diet, with a talent for identifying compelling and newsy content from a wide variety of sources.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong ethics and editorial judgment.
- Demonstrate an eye for the unexpected, surprising, and delightful.
- Experience writing for social media, and building virtual community around news content.
- Excitement about working at a startup, and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of making people feel more connected to their cities.
- Experience writing and/or editing professionally, ideally in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience working in Mailchimp.
The Newsletter Writer will report to the Lead Producer of City Cast Houston and will be working most closely with the Newsletter Editor/Host. This position is part-time with benefits and will be located in Houston, though work will be primarily remote. The pay range is $25-$30/hour depending on experience. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read more about our mission and values here. We encourage everyone to apply.