City Cast is building a national network of local news podcasts and newsletters. As we rapidly expand, we’re seeking an editorial visionary and strategist to drive our newsletter operations. Our ideal candidate is a staunch newsletter enthusiast, with a deep appreciation for the power of a well written email and a passion for audience development. City Cast’s Newsletter Editor-in-Chief will be responsible for defining and creating a compelling newsletter product that can be templated across cities, recruiting excellent writers, and leveraging data to build a big, engaged audience. Applications due by Jan. 20, 2022.
- Develop a distinctive vision for a signature City Cast newsletter product, and execute the plan for bringing it to life across a growing network of cities.
- Identify and recruit talented writers in City Cast cities.
- Oversee the local writers in collaboration with each city’s lead producer, providing editorial oversight, coaching, and feedback.
- Define the product relationship between the City Cast newsletter and podcast, developing a cross-promotional strategy that increases the value of both products.
- Work in collaboration with City Cast’s audience development team to ensure the newsletters build community and invite audience input.
- Stay on top of the latest developments in email optimization and delivery, as platforms and measurements continue to evolve.
- Track and assess analytics, and use them to make the newsletters continuously better.
- Oversee the implementation of display ads and possibly sponsored content.
- Experience building a successful newsletter and growing a highly engaged reader base.
- Keen editorial instincts, with the ability to spot editorial talent and coach writers to be successful in a newsletter format.
- A knack for creating editorial products that exude freshness, substance, and delight.
- Familiarity with email marketing platforms and best practices for email deliverability.
- Passion for staying on top of trends in newsletter media and audience development.
- Solid understanding of audience growth techniques, and the ability to roll out new techniques systematically but nimbly.
- Interest in working in an agile, casual startup environment.
The Newsletter Editor-In-Chief will report to City Cast’s Chief Creative Officer. This position is full-time, remote, with excellent benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read more about our mission and values here.We encourage everyone to apply. Applications due by Jan. 20, 2022.