City Cast Denver is seeking an excellent writer and editor with a deep passion for our city to fill in for 3 months as the author and curator of our daily email newsletter. Our ideal candidate is a writer with verve and excellent instincts for what Denverites want to talk about. Also essential: a meticulous eye for formatting and copy detail, and a voracious appetite for local news and culture.
Deadline to apply: Friday, November 11th
- Write friendly, smart, concise and engaging daily emails that invite Denverites to be more connected to their city.
- Consume numerous sources of local news, culture, events and information daily and identify the compelling tidbits to be curated and shared.
- Conduct research and interviews as needed to develop original pieces for the newsletter that highlight practical and delightful aspects of Denver.
- Demonstrate an eye for the unexpected, surprising, and delightful.
- Compose irresistible subject headings.
- Format the day’s newsletter to adhere to City Cast’s style guide and branding, and ensure the newsletter is published at a regular time, error-free.
- Gather visual content for daily newsletter, ensuring that appropriate licensing guidelines are followed, and that images are high quality and editorially compelling.
- Engage with newsletter readers by responding to their emails and outreach on social media.
- 3+ years’ experience writing and/or editing professionally, ideally in a deadline-driven newsy environment.
- Voracious local news and culture diet, with a talent for identifying compelling and fresh content from a wide variety of sources.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. You also write great headlines.
- Reliable news judgment about the complicated issues facing your city.
- Experience writing for social media, and building virtual community around news content.
- Excitement about working at a startup, and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of making people feel more connected to their cities.
The Newsletter Editor will report to the Lead Producer of City Cast Denver. This position is full-time, temporary, and not eligible for benefits unless the employment contract exceeds 90 days. The hourly rate is $28.84 – $33.65, depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.