You’re a writer with verve who has excellent instincts for what matters most to Portland. City Cast Portland is hiring a Newsletter Editor to be the signature voice of its useful, joyful, and informative daily local newsletter, launching alongside a daily podcast by the same name. In this role, you’ll avidly follow local news and culture, then write and curate stories, headlines, and other tidbits into an irresistible and substantive M-F email.
- Consume numerous sources of Portland news, culture, and information daily and identify the compelling tidbits to be shared with local readers. Demonstrate an eye for the unexpected, surprising, and delightful.
- Identify, curate, and write up compelling stories and updates. Demonstrate excellent discretion for what Portland readers need to know, and what should be left out.
- Compose killer subject headings, format the day’s newsletter to adhere to City Cast’s style guide and branding, and ensure the newsletter is published at a regular time, error-free.
- Gather visual content for daily newsletter, ensuring that appropriate licensing guidelines are followed, and that images are high quality and editorially compelling.
- Engage with newsletter readers by responding to their emails and outreach on social media.
- 3+ years’ experience writing and/or editing professionally, ideally in a deadline-driven environment.
- 3+ years’ reporting experience, with a demonstrated grasp of core journalistic principles of fairness and accuracy, and the tenacity to follow leads as they develop.
- Voracious Portland news diet, with a talent for identifying compelling and newsy content from a wide variety of sources.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. You also write great headlines.
- Reliable news judgment about the complicated issues facing Portland.
- Experience writing for social media, and building virtual community around news content.
- Excitement about working at a startup, and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of making people feel more connected to their cities.
The Newsletter Editor will report to the Lead Producer of City Cast Portland. This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $60,000-$80,000, depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.
Deadline to Apply: Monday, June 13