City Cast is hiring an ambitious, creative Lead Producer to launch and guide a daily local podcast in Madison. As Lead Producer, you’ll hire the rest of the City Cast Madison team, overseeing content, staff, and operations, and actively contribute to daily production. You are an experienced audio producer, a strong storyteller, a local newshound, and a passionately curious resident of Madison, and you love coaching and cultivating talent.
- Help set the tone and creative vision for City Cast Madison by contributing, encouraging and shaping story ideas, running production meetings, and keeping daily operations on track.
- Oversee a small team, ensuring they’re following the same vision and strategy, and have the tools they need to succeed.
- Serve as the primary daily decision maker for City Cast Madison. You’re the person who makes sure it is relevant, fresh, joyful, and substantive.
- Work in close partnership with the Host, providing editorial and creative coaching to ensure they sound conversational, memorable, and credible.
- Make critical news decisions on a tight timeline, on a daily basis, holding all City Cast content to a high editorial standard.
- With the help of your Producer and Host, book guests, conduct research and pre-interviews, and write scripts—with an eye towards creating smart, fun, digestible, accessible shows that help listeners feel more connected to Madison.
- Edit audio capably and quickly in Audition or a comparable platform.
- Serve as the primary liaison with City Cast’s headquarters team.
- Model and foster an inclusive, kind, supportive work environment that enables you and your team to do your best work, and hold staff accountable through constructive feedback, clear goals, and performance reviews.
- Ensure that the show is distributed daily to all relevant platforms.
- Oversee lightweight digital and social strategy around City Cast Madison, owning and driving the show’s audience growth and engagement.
- Experience editing and mixing audio with a high level of technical proficiency and creative flair.
- Experience managing creative and/or editorial teams.
- A strong track record at coaching and on-air talent, and cultivating chemistry between hosts and guests.
- A love of the podcasting medium, with a desire to take risks, seek out new formats and approaches, seek inspiration from just about anywhere.
- Experience working in a fast-paced content environment.
- Proven leadership ability, with a passion and knack for mentoring and cultivating talent.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, and the ability to navigate conflict productively and directly.
- A passion for Madison and a belief that local journalism makes us better citizens.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, and the flexibility and willingness to fill a variety of roles in a nimble, startup environment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Deep integrity, honesty, kindness, and fairness.
The Lead Producer will report to City Cast’s Chief Creative Officer. This position is full-time, with competitive salary and benefits, and will be located in Madison, though work will be primarily remote. The salary range is $65-85K, depending on experience. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.
Deadline to Apply: Friday, April 22th