Newsletter Editor City Cast, Philly
City Cast Philly is hiring a Newsletter Editor to be the signature voice of its useful, joyful, and informative daily local newsletter, Hey Philly, which is accompanied by a daily podcast. In this role, you will avidly follow local news and culture, then write and curate stories, headlines, and other tidbits into an irresistible and substantive M-F email and corresponding web articles.
Deadline to apply: October 27th, 2023
- Consume a variety of sources for local news, culture, and civic engagement daily and identify the compelling pieces to be shared with local readers. Demonstrate an eye for the unexpected, surprising, and delightful.
- Identify, curate, and write up compelling aggregated and original local stories and news updates. Demonstrate excellent discretion for what local readers need to know, and what should be left out.
- Imagine, research, and create useful guides, explainers, and deeps dives on topics to engage a local audience.
- Compose compelling subject line and article headlines, format the day's newsletter to adhere to City Cast's style guide and branding, and ensure the newsletter and related articles are published at a regular time, error-free.
- Gather visual content for a daily newsletter and corresponding web articles, ensuring that appropriate licensing guidelines are followed, and that images are high quality and editorially compelling.
- Gather and share a robust range of events and ways to engage in the city with your audience via the newsletter and website.
- Execute email engagement and content strategies as defined by the Director of Newsletter Strategy, the Content Directors, and other City Cast HQ partners.
- Engage with newsletter readers by responding to their emails and outreach on social media.
- Monitor email metrics, in coordination with the Director of Newsletter Strategy, and make necessary adjustments to work for continued audience growth and success.
- Coordinate with your podcast team to identify ways for crossover content, cross promotion, and smarter workloads.
- Maintain a highly organized workspace within Slack, Dropbox, Airtable, Sanity, and Sailthru as you rotate between cities.
- Additional tasks and special editorial projects as needed and assigned.
- Experience writing and editing newsletter products.
- Voracious newsletter diet, with a talent for identifying compelling and newsy content from a wide variety of sources.
- A firm grasp of email newsletter trends and best practices, with a keen understanding of where the industry is heading.
- Experience writing for social media, and building virtual community around news content.
- Excitement about working at a startup, and enthusiasm for City Cast's mission of making people feel more connected to their cities.
- Solid knowledge of AP Style.
- 3+ years' of copy editing experience.
- At least 1 year of experience engaging with digital audiences.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, love of adventure, and the flexibility and willingness to work with various colleagues in a variety of roles in a nimble, startup environment.
- 3+ years' experience writing and/or editing professionally.
- 3+ years' experience, with a demonstrated grasp of core journalistic principles of fairness and accuracy.
- To be considered for this role, you must currently reside in the metro area of Philadelphia, PA.
The Newsletter Editor will report to the Lead Producer, Philly. This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $55,000 - $75,000 depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.