City Cast is seeking a contagiously curious news and culture enthusiast to serve as Host, City Cast Boise. As the voice of this local daily news podcast, our host will inspire local listeners' passion for their city, and help their neighbors understand what matters locally, and why. Our host will record new episodes daily, ranging from conversations with reporters breaking down local elections, to ranking pizza shops with food writers and influencers, all with an eminently listenable and satisfying style.Our ideal candidate is knowledgable, opinionated and passionate about Boise. They have an insatiable appetite for its culture, politics, economy, sports, and people. They love to talk, and to ask questions and they're good at it- because they're genuinely interested. The host we're looking for may have a journalism background-or they may be a comedian/musician/writer/politician/educator/entrepreneur. Whatever they've been up to, they're a gifted speaker looking for a new way of expressing their love, frustration, and fascination about their city and the people who live in it.
Deadline to Apply: January 2nd, 2024
- Host a podcast about your city every weekday.
- Host thoughtful, empathetic, engaging conversations with your city's top newsmakers and influencers.
- Serve as a highly engaged and visible participant in city life, representing City Cast at live events, on panels, online, at happy hours and beyond.
- Exude style, substance, and personality in each episode. You won't be an "announcer" but rather a deeply engaged conversationalist and talker with an authentic presence and strong point of view.
- Contribute and shape story and guest ideas, working collaboratively with the Lead Producer to ensure the show's topics are fresh, variable, and relevant.
- Work with the larger City Cast network to apply best practices for growing your audience, improving your performance on mic, and applying key learnings from podcast and newsletter performance analytics.
- Contribute writing, editing, booking, and beyond, as needed, depending on the day's production needs.
- Regularly contribute to the production of social media content for the show on key platforms.
- Record creative and engaging show promos and ads.
- Curiosity, above all. Journalism experience is extremely valuable but not essential. We're open to curious people who understand and abide by journalistic principles and who are great conversationalists.
- Fresh, distinctive perspective and a compelling style.
- Charisma and a high level of comfort with public speaking.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and a teamwork mentality.
- Passion for your city-whether it manifests as devotion, frustration, fury, criticism, or all of the above.
- A voracious appetite for news and information about your community and the broader world.
- Strong written, verbal, and social communication skills.
- Excitement about working at a startup and enthusiasm for City Cast's mission of informing and engaging your community.
- Openness to participate with experiments and new workflows as City Cast grows and changes.
- Willingness to pitch in and help your colleagues where needed.
- 5+ years experience in journalism or related field;
- 5+ years experience in a public-facing role (host, performer, etc.)
- Some experience audio interviewing and editing.
- To be considered for this role, you must currently reside In the metro area of Boise, or be willing to relocate to Boise within 6-months of hire.
The Host will report to the Lead Producer of City Cast Boise. This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $80,000 - $105,000 depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.