Audio Producer, City Cast Chicago
City Cast is hiring an Audio Producer to help make our daily local podcast in Chicago. The ideal candidate is a versatile, efficient, and inventive audio producer who cares deeply about local news and culture, and is excited to use podcasting to help people feel more connected to their city. They'll know how to identify great guests and to book them, under deadline pressure. They have a sharp eye for stories and trends that Chicago cares about, and always have a feel for the pulse and zeitgeist of the city.
Deadline to apply: Friday, August 11th
- Identify, research, and shape your city's most important daily stories - help the team decide on topics and guests that will make the show sing.
- Find, vet, and book guests, conduct research and pre-interviews, and write scripts - all with an eye towards creating smart, fun, digestible, accessible shows that help listeners feel more connected to Chicago
- Edit audio capably and quickly in a combination of Descript and Audition, focusing on consistent quality on short turnarounds.
- Pitch urgent, important stories that vary: From service journalism that gives our audience the tools to live their best Chicago life, to smart, effective news coverage on the most relevant issues happening in your city.
- Help our hosts script interview questions on tight deadlines, and edit their copy to make clear, concise interviews
- Contribute to an inclusive, kind, supportive work environment that enables you and your team to do your best work.
- Fill in as a voice on the show, as needed.
- Work with our newsletter editor to pitch written segments and edit copy, as needed.
- Work on scripting, recording, and potentially voicing on-air ads from sponsors
- Be tenacious about building a comprehensive Rolodex of sources in your city - from local politicians, to award-winning journalists, to Internet celebrities
- Be willing to pitch in and help with any production-related tasks on your lead producer's plate: contribute to social media campaigns, plan live events, ideate big "tentpole" ideas, and more.
- Proven ability to identify and build compelling stories, with a knack for pinpointing good "talkers" to bring those stories to life, and possessing sound editorial instincts.
- Experience producing interviews from soup to nuts - from identifying the right guests and pre-interviewing, to flagging the most valuable tape and editing it into a compelling story.
- Excellent audio editing skills, with the ability to quickly identify the most compelling elements of a recorded interview, edit those elements into a clear narrative, and mix audio.
- Experience making challenging editorial decisions in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strong communications skills, with a knack for writing audio scripts that sound natural and conversational.
- A passion for your city and for local journalism.
- A longing to make audio content that sounds delightful and fresh.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, love of adventure, and the flexibility and willingness to fill a variety of roles in a nimble, startup environment.
- Ambition to be a consistent voice on the show
- Experience with writing and editing digital copy
- A deep and interesting Rolodex of potential sources
- To be considered for this role, you must currently reside in the Chicago metro area.
The Producer will report to the Lead Producer, City Cast Chicago This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $65,000 - $85,000 depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.