Locations: Atlanta, Austin, Boise, Boston, Columbus, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Portland, OR, Research Triangle, NC, and Washington, D.C.
City Cast hires contagiously curious, energetic city enthusiasts and news junkies to serve as Host of City Cast podcasts in cities around the country. Even if we haven’t launched in your city yet, we’ll probably be there soon. As the voice of a local daily news podcast, you’ll inspire your neighbors’ passion for their place, and you’ll help them understand what matters locally, and why. Each weekday, you’ll lead wide-ranging, sometimes-substantive-sometimes-frivolous conversations about your city.
You are knowledgable and opinionated and passionate about your city. You have an insatiable appetite for its politics, culture, economy, sports, and people. You love to talk. You also love to ask questions—because you’re genuinely interested in the answers. Maybe you have a journalism background—or maybe you’re a musician/writer/politician/educator/entrepreneur. Whatever you’ve been up to, you’re looking for a new way of expressing your love, frustration, and fascination about your city and the people who live in it.
- Host a podcast about your city every weekday.
- Hold thoughtful, empathetic, engaging conversations with your city’s top newsmakers and influencers.
- Exude style, substance, and personality in each episode. You won’t be an “announcer” but rather a deeply engaged conversationalist and talker with an authentic presence and strong point of view.
- Serve as the voice, face, and chief curious person for your local City Cast, and by extension, your city.
- Work collaboratively with the Lead Producer to pick topics, decide guests, and write questions and scripts.
- Act as a powerful evangelist for the show, the city, and the principles of local journalism.
- Record promos and sponsor messages as needed.
- Represent your local City Cast publicly at live and virtual events as appropriate.
- Curiosity, above all. Journalism experience is extremely valuable but not essential. We’re open to curious people who understand and abide by journalistic principles and who are great conversationalists.
- Fresh, distinctive perspective and a compelling style. You are a tastemaker, whether you know it or not.
- Passion for your city—whether it manifests as devotion, frustration, fury, criticism, or all of the above.
- A voracious appetite for news and information about your community and the broader world.
- Strong written, verbal, and social communication skills
- Excitement about working at a startup and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of informing and engaging your community.
- 5+ years experience in journalism or related field;
- 5+ years experience in a public-facing role (host, performer, etc.)
- Some experience audio interviewing and editing.
In this role, you will report to the Lead Producer of your local City Cast. This position could be part-time or full-time, depending on your schedule and other commitments. In either case, it offers competitive pay, with excellent benefits for a full-time employee. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.