City Cast is seeking a contagiously curious, energetic, creative, and connected Host to be the new voice of City Cast Houston, a daily podcast covering local stories in the Houston area.
As the new voice of our show, you’ll conduct daily interviews with local politicians, reporters, influencers, celebrities, business owners, comedians, chefs, and… basically anyone and everyone doing interesting things in your city. We strive to hold conversations that are entertaining, informative, and digestible. We want to inspire listeners to feel more connected with their city, and help our neighbors understand what matters locally, and why.
The ideal candidate is knowledgable, opinionated, and passionate about Houston. You have an insatiable appetite for its politics, culture, economy, history, sports, and people. You love to talk, and don’t shy away from asking the tough questions. Maybe you have a journalism background, or maybe you’re a former musician/writer/politician/educator/entrepreneur? We need a bold, engaging personality who is willing to express their love, frustration, and fascination about Houston and all the people who reside here.
Deadline to apply: February 10th, 2023
- Host a podcast about your city every weekday.
- Have thoughtful, empathetic, engaging conversations with your city’s top newsmakers and influencers.
- Exude style, substance, and personality in each episode. You won’t be an “announcer” but rather a deeply engaged conversationalist and talker with an authentic presence and strong point of view.
- Serve as the voice, face, and chief curious person for your local City Cast, and by extension, your city.
- Pick topics, pitch stories, book guests, and write questions and scripts.
- Review prep materials for each interview.
- Act as a powerful evangelist for the show, the city, and the principles of local journalism.
- Record promos and sponsor messages as needed.
- Represent your local City Cast publicly at live and virtual events as appropriate.
- Curiosity, above all. Journalism and production experience is extremely valuable but not essential. We’re open to curious people who understand and abide by journalistic principles and who are great conversationalists.
- Fresh, distinctive perspective and a compelling style. You are a tastemaker, whether you know it or not.
- Passion for your city – whether it manifests as devotion, frustration, fury, criticism, or all of the above.
- A voracious appetite for news and information about your community and the broader world.
- Strong written, verbal, and social communication skills.
- Excitement about working at a startup and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of informing and engaging your community.
- Connections with some of the city’s most notable movers and shakers is always welcomed… we love a comprehensive Rolodex of potential guests and experts!
- 5+ years experience in journalism or related field;
- 5+ years experience in a public-facing role (host, performer, etc.)
- Some experience audio interviewing and editing.
The Host will report to the Lead Producer of City Cast Houston. This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $80,000 – $105,000 depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.