City Cast is seeking a contagiously curious, energetic, city and news enthusiast to serve as Host of a new daily local podcast in Portland. As the voice of City Cast Portland, you’ll inspire local listeners’ passion for the city, and you’ll help your neighbors understand what really matters in Portland, and why. You’ll have wide-ranging, sometimes-substantive-sometimes-frivolous conversations about Portland each weekday.
You’re knowledgable and opinionated and passionate about Portland. You have an insatiable appetite for its politics, culture, economy, people, and sports (of course its sports!). You love to talk, and to ask questions and you’re good at it— because you’re genuinely interested. Maybe you have a journalism background—or maybe you’re a former musician/writer/politician/educator/entrepreneur. Whatever you’ve been up to, you’re looking for a new way of expressing your love, frustration, and fascination about Portland and the people who live here.
- Host a podcast about Portland every weekday.
- Host thoughtful, empathetic, engaging conversations with Portland’s top newsmakers and influencers.
- Exude style, substance, and personality in each episode. You won’t be an “announcer” but rather a deeply engaged conversationalist and talker with an authentic presence and strong point of view.
- Serve as the voice, face, and chief curious person for City Cast Portland, and by extension, your city.
- Work collaboratively with the Lead Producer to pick topics, decide guests, and write questions and scripts.
- Act as a powerful evangelist for the show, the city, and the principles of local journalism.
- Record promos and sponsor messages as needed.
- Represent City Cast Portland publicly at live and virtual events as appropriate.
- Curiosity, above all. Journalism experience is extremely valuable but not essential. We’re open to curious people who understand and abide by journalistic principles and who are great conversationalists.
- Fresh, distinctive perspective and a compelling style. You are a tastemaker, whether you know it or not.
- Passion for Portland—whether it manifests as devotion, frustration, fury, criticism, or all of the above.
- A voracious appetite for news and information about your community and the broader world.
- Strong written, verbal, and social communication skills
- Excitement about working at a startup and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of informing and engaging your community.
- 5+ years experience in journalism or related field;
- 5+ years experience in a public-facing role (host, performer, etc.)
- Some experience audio interviewing and editing. .
The Host will report to the Lead Producer of City Cast Portland. This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $80,000-$110,000, depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.
Deadline to Apply: Monday, June 13