City Cast is building a network of one-of-a-kind, daily local news podcasts in cities around the country. We’re seeking an Editor for each local team. In this role, you will avidly follow local news and culture, then filter and curate stories, headlines and other tidbits into an irresistible daily email newsletter. You’ll also develop the local City Cast social accounts. You’re a writer with verve who has marvelous instincts for what matters most to your community, and you want to make your city better through journalism.
- Stepping in to produce a City Cast podcast when someone’s on vacation or working on a longer project: identifying stories, booking guests, guiding interviews, crafting host questions, logging tape, and editing and mixing the resulting audio into great listening.
- Injecting style and distinctive flair into each day’s episode via your discerning use of good tape, and creative audio flourishes.
- Producing ads and promos.
- Working on special audio projects and pilots with different City Cast teams.
- 3+ years’ experience writing and/or editing professionally, ideally in a deadline-driven environment.
- Voracious news diet, with a talent for identifying compelling and newsy content from a wide variety of sources.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. You also write great headlines.
- Reliable news judgment, with deep knowledge of the complicated issues facing your city.
- Experience writing for social media, and building virtual community around news content.
- Excitement about working at a startup, and enthusiasm for City Cast’s mission of informing and engaging your community.
This position is full-time, with competitive salary and benefits, and will be located in the city where your local City Cast is produced. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.