City Cast is building a national network of local news podcasts and newsletters. As we rapidly expand, we’re seeking an editorial and audience strategist to define the City Cast newsletter product, and build our strategy for using it to grow audience and deepen engagement. Our ideal candidate is a newsletter enthusiast (duh), a data nerd, and an audience-minded thinker who knows how to make a newsletter product people want to read and share. The Director of Newsletter Strategy will serve as the guiding expert and coach across all of City Cast’s newsletter writers and editors. Applications due by March 4, 2022.
- Build an effective strategy for the City Cast newsletter product
- Conduct market and audience research to define the most effective newsletter formats to implement across our cities
- Crunch the numbers to determine what’s working, what’s not, and what else we should be trying
- Establish the relationship between the podcast and newsletter products, and drive the strategy for cross-promotion between them
- Oversee City Cast’s newsletter style, editorial, and visual design standards
- Provide editorial oversight, coaching, and feedback to City Cast newsletter writers and editors
- Stay on top of the latest developments in email optimization and delivery, as platforms and measurements continue to evolve.
- Oversee the implementation of display ads and possibly sponsored content.
- Analyze newsletter performance and audience analytics, provide regular insights to City Cast leadership.
- Help recruit talented writers in City Cast cities.
- Experience building a successful standalone newsletter product and growing a highly engaged reader base
- Excellent coaching ability, especially with writers
- A deep understanding of newsletters as a distinctive medium
- Proven success at building and implementing audience growth and engagement strategies
- A knack for creating editorial products that exude freshness, substance, and delight
- Familiarity with email marketing platforms and best practices for email deliverability.
- Passion for staying on top of trends in newsletter media and audience development
- Interest in working in an agile, casual startup environment.
The Director of Newsletter Strategy will report to City Cast’s Chief Creative Officer. This position is full-time, remote, with excellent benefits. The salary range is $90-$115K depending on experience. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read more about our mission and values here. We encourage everyone to apply.