City Cast is hiring a temporary audio producer (3 month contract starting September 19) to help produce a daily local podcast in Houston. Our ideal candidate is a versatile and creative audio producer who cares deeply about local news and culture, and is excited to use podcasting to help people feel more connected to Houston. You have strong editorial judgment, you know how to identify great guests and book them under deadline pressure, and you’re a fast and reliable audio editor.
- Identify, research, and shape Houston’s most important daily stories—helping the Lead Producer and Host decide on topics and guests who make the show sing.
- Find, vet, and book guests, conduct research and pre-interviews, and write scripts–with an eye towards creating smart, fun, digestible, accessible shows that help listeners feel more connected to Houston.
- Edit audio capably and quickly in Descript and Audition, with an eye towards creative and compelling narrative sound design.
- Inject style into each day’s episode via discerning use of good tape.
- Contribute to an inclusive, kind, supportive work environment that enables you and your team to do your best work.
- Proven ability to identify and build compelling stories, with a knack for pinpointing good “talkers” to bring those stories to life.
- Experience producing interviews from soup to nuts–from identifying the right guests and pre-interviewing, to flagging the most valuable tape and editing it into a compelling story.
- Excellent audio editing skills, with the ability to quickly identify the most compelling elements of a recorded interview, edit those elements into a clear narrative, and mix audio.
- Experience making challenging editorial decisions in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strong communications skills, with a knack for writing audio scripts that sound natural and conversational.
- A longing to make audio content that sounds delightful and fresh.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, love of adventure, and the flexibility and willingness to fill a variety of roles in a nimble, startup environment.
- Houston residence preferred but not required.
The producer will report to City Cast’s East Coast Content Director. This is a contract position, running for 3 months beginning October 3. Hourly rate is $30-$40 per hour depending on experience. Work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.
Deadline to apply: Friday, August 26.